Town of Tiverton
On May 16, 2011, the Town of Tiverton converted its residential waste collection program to the new pay-as-you-throw (PAYT) program and the results have been dramatic. Since that time, Tiverton’s residents have reduced their solid waste by more than 50%. Additionally, its recycling efforts have nearly doubled from 20% to approximately 40%. The combined efforts have dramatically reduced the amount of trash diverted from the Town’s landfill.
The information on this web page can also be accessed by phone by calling 1-888-329-8550. Basic information – including the list of stores where bags are available – is only a phone call away.
Program Statistics - Tiverton RI Successes
Where do I buy the bags?
The Town of Tiverton’s PAYT trash bags are available in a variety of stores.
Bags are priced as follows:
- Package of 5 30-gallon bags for $10.00
- Package of 10 15-gallon bags for $10.00
|Store Names||Street Address||City, State||Phone Number|
|Benny's||340 Rhode Island Avenue||Fall River, MA||(508) 674-0350|
|Cumberland Farms||1860 Main Road||Tiverton, RI||(401) 624-7175|
|East Lake Variety||750 East Road||Tiverton, RI||(401) 624-3399|
|Gray's Ice Cream||16 East Road||Tiverton, RI||(401) 624-4500|
|Hess Gas||1308 Stafford Road||Tiverton, RI||(401) 624-6843|
|Humphrey's Lumber||590 Main Road||Tiverton, RI||(401) 624-8800|
|Lee's Market||796 Main Road||Westport, MA||(508) 636-3348|
|M & R Feed||329 King Road||Tiverton, RI||(401) 624-6460|
|North Tiverton News||15 Main Road||Tiverton, RI||(401) 624-6908|
|Rite Aid||677 Main Road||Tiverton, RI||(401) 624-8411|
|Rite Aid||323 William S. Canning Blvd.||Fall River, MA||(508) 678-0163|
|Shaw's Supermarket||4171 North Main Street||Fall River, MA||(508) 677-0940|
|Shaw's Supermarket||465 William S. Canning Blvd.||Fall River, MA||(508) 674-8445|
|Simmons Cafe & Market||78 Crandall Road||Little Compton, RI||(401) 635-2420|
|Step by Step Mart||429 Main Road||Tiverton, RI||(401) 624-3770|
|Stop & Shop||333 Mariano S. Bishop Blvd.||Fall River, MA||(508) 675-0391|
|Schwartz Hardware||1756 South Main Street||Fall River, MA||(508) 674-3514|
|Tedeschi Food Shop||1099 William S. Canning Blvd.||Fall River, MA||(508) 679-4131|
|Tom's Market||492 Main Road||Tiverton, RI||(401) 816-0862|
Trash Collection Rules and Guidelines
Trash, recycling and yard waste collections are scheduled on your pickup day. Separate trucks are used for each.
All trash must be placed in PAYT Trash Bags placed curbside in barrels by 6:00 am along with your blue and green recycle bins in order to be collected. Please do not remove recycling bins from curbside until your trash has been collected, as trucks don’t always stay on schedule. And make sure your trash is out by 6:00 am on your designated trash day!
What can I recycle?
Recycling is mandatory in Tiverton!
Recycling bins are available at the Department of Public Works, 50 Industrial Way (Next to the Police Station). Recycling bins are $5.00 each.
How to Recycle: Blue Bin
- Metal: Aluminum foil & pie plates, empty aerosol cans, empty latex paint cans (thin layer of paint ok, NO oil paint cans), soup and vegetable cans.
- Glass: Bottles & jars such as mayonnaise jars, wine & beer bottles, baby food jars, spaghetti sauce and salsa jars. Metal lids can be recycled.
- Plastic: #1 & #2 only
#1 – Bottles and jugs only: water, soda and juice bottles, shampoo bottles, spray cleaner bottles. (Caps left on)
#2 – Milk jugs, bottles from laundry detergent, bleach, fabric softener, saline solution.
- Drink Cartons: Cartons from milk, soy milk, cream and juice, juice boxes (discard straw)
- Exceptions: No Plastics #3 – 7. No styrofoam, No plastic bags.
How to Recycle: Green Bin
- Mixed Paper: Mail, envelopes, magazines, catalogs, phonebooks, writing paper, paper bags, greeting cards, wrapping paper (no foil), shredded paper (place in paper bag, tape or staple shut), computer/copy/fax paper.
- Newspapers: All newspapers, ads, flyers.
- Thin Cardboard: Boxes from cereals, pasta, cake mix, toothpaste, tissue boxes, shoe boxes, toilet paper and paper towel rolls, cardboard egg cartons and cardboard drink carrying trays.
- Cardboard: Boxes and other corrugated cardboard. Boxes must be flattened, bundled and tied and not measure more than 2.5′ x 2.5′ in order to be collected. Please do not use cardboard boxes as trash receptacles.
- Exceptions: NO soda or beer packaging. Do not put paper in plastic bags. No paper towels, napkins, tissues or any tissue paper. No dirty/greasy cardboard (bottom of pizza box) or wax or plastic coated cardboard (anything from the freezer or refrigerator – frozen dinner boxes, etc).
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I contact Tiverton DPW?
Call (401) 625-6760 or log on to http://www.tiverton.ri.gov for general questions regarding recycling and rubbish disposal.
- What is Tiverton's hazardous waste collection policy?
Eco-Depot hazardous waste collections will be held in Tiverton on September 22nd. Hazardous waste such as oil based paints, gasoline, propane tanks, antifreeze and paint thinners cannot be thrown away in your regular trash. Appointments are required and can be made by calling RIRRC at 942-1430 ext. 241 or for a list of event dates, visit www.rirrc.org.
- What else can I dispose of at the landfill?
You can dispose of car tires for $5.00 per car tire, and mattresses, and box springs for $15.00 each.
- Does Tiverton support composting?
Compost bins are available to residents for $40.00 each. Recycle your food scraps and yard waste into a beneficial natural fertilizer for your garden and yard!
- What is Tiverton's yard waste program?
Yard waste is collected on your regular collection day during designated yard waste collection weeks. Leaves, grass, plant clippings and small sticks & branches (less than 3 feet long and 4 inches in diameter) can be placed in brown paper leaf bags (no plastic bags) or loose in barrels with a sign taped on it reading “YARD WASTE”. Sticks & branches can also be tied in reasonably sized bundles. Yard waste can also be brought to the landfill at no charge.
- Does Tiverton offer a low-income program for the PAYT bags?
Households that earn less than $22,000 per year and meet other program requirements may qualify for free bags. For those who qualify, residents will receive 25 bags for a six month period or portion thereof effective January and July 2012. Please contact the Tax Assessor's Office at 625-6709 for application details.
- When can I get my Christmas tree picked up?
Trees will be collected for two weeks from January 9th -20th, 2012. (On your regular trash day.)
The DPW’s hours are as follows:
Monday-Friday 7:00 to 3:30
Closed between 12:00-12:30 for lunch
The Department of Public Works provides services to the community in the following areas:
- Snow plowing and sanding
- Street sweeping
- Street maintenance
- Stormwater drainage
- Tree trimming
- Roadside grass mowing
- Solid waste collection and landfill operations
- Street opening permits
More Information on Recycling in Tiverton:
- Patriot Disposal is contracted to perform curbside pickup of recyclables from residences on a weekly basis. These recyclables are transported to the Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation center in Johnston for processing. RIRRC does not charge the Town for drop-off of these materials.
- Recyclables are collected on the same day that the trash is collected from residences. Tiverton Five Day Rubbish Collection Routes may be accessed through this link. This document provides the collection schedule for the Town.
- Recyclables must be placed at curbside by 6 AM on the day for collection. Please separate the recyclables from the trash by a few feet.
- Residents may obtain blue and green recycling bins at the DPW on Monday – Friday between 7 AM and 3:30 PM. A fee of $5.00 per bin applies.
- Christmas tree pickup is performed by the DPW during the second week of January pending the absence of inclement weather.
- Residents are reminded that separation of recyclables from the trash is mandatory whether they are disposed at curbside or at the landfill.