Town of Middleborough
Starting March 2016, the Town of Middleborough will be making it easier for residents to reduce waste and save money. For residents currently using the 32-gallon cart, Town trash bags will also be available for sale at local retailers, making it more convenient to purchase bags and reduce your expenses.
For residents currently paying quarterly trash fees with a 64-gallon cart, call DPW to find out how you can take control of your solid waste expenses by eliminating your quarterly fee!
Why make this change? For many very good reasons.
- Residents can save money. With the enhanced, more equitable Solid Waste program, residents pay only for the garbage they throw away—not for their neighbors’ trash too!
- Middleborough saves. If there’s less trash generated, Middleborough pays less to manage it. These savings—which can be substantial—can be rerouted back into the community.
- The environment is better preserved: When residents throw away less, recycle more, and “lighten the load” in any number of other ways, landfills last longer, greenhouse gas emissions are reduced, millions of BTUs of energy are saved, and natural resources last longer.
Remember, by recycling more you’ll produce less trash, which means you’ll use fewer trash bags. The Option Green program lets you take control of your waste disposal costs!
Middleborough trash bags will be conveniently available at retail outlets throughout the Town and will be available in 2 sizes.
Where Do I Buy the Bags?
The Middleborough trash bags are available in a variety of stores.
- Small bags (15-gallon) cost $7.50 for a package of 5 bags.
- Large bags (30-gallon) are $15 for a package of 5 bags.
You may purchase them at the following locations (more stores coming soon):
|Store Name||Street Address||Phone Number|
|Benny's||85 Center Street||508-947-8532|
|Cape Way Convenience||578 Wareham Street||508-946-9088|
|Hannaford's||8 Merchants Way||508-947-4787|
|New England Farms||447 Wareham Street||508-947-0506|
|New England Farms||2501 Cranberry Highway (Wareham)||508-273-0246|
|Rite-Aid Pharmacy||131-133 South Main Street||508-946-0149|
|Village Market||208 Wareham Street||508-947-0783|
What Can I Recycle?
Recycling will reduce your cost, since there is no additional fee to recycle the items listed below. The more you recycle, the less trash you have to put into the Yellow bags, and the more money you’ll save.
Middleborough has every-other-week single stream recycling collection, all recyclables are accepted in the same container. See below for accepted materials.
Please place your properly prepared recycling cart to the curb on your designated collection day by 7am. Please note: Do not use plastic bags for recyclables.
(place all recyclables loose in the recycling cart)
Curbside Trash Collection Rules and Guidelines
All regular household trash should be bagged in the authorized trash bags before being placed in your 32-gallon cart for collection, with the lid closed. Please no loose trash in carts, items not in designated bags will NOT be accepted. No exceptions will be made. Any overflow trash must be in a town bag and brought to the landfill, 207 Plympton Street.
For bulky items and appliances, please click here for additional guidelines.
Please place trash curbside by 7am on your collection day.
Do not place the following items in the trash cart:
- No Recyclables
- No Leaves, grass or yard waste
- No Dirt, sod, concrete, or rock
- No Construction/demolition debris, sheet rock, or fencing
- No Carpet or furniture
- No Household hazardous waste, including needles
- No Hot ashes or flammable materials such as oil, gas, or paint
- No Vehicle tires, motor vehicle parts, or scrap metal
Needles and Sharps are not accepted in the trash and must be taken to the Health Department or Fire Department for proper disposal.
To dispose of medical waste or mercury-containing items (fluorescent bulbs, thermometers, etc.), please call the Health Department at 508-946-2408
For additional information on hazardous waste, construction and demolition materials, please click here for proper disposal methods.
ROLLING COVERED CARTS:
- Carts are the property of the Town of Middleborough. If a participant chooses to opt out of the program or moves from the residence, the Department of Public Works must be notified to retrieve the carts.
- Carts damaged through regular use (i.e. wheels, axle) will be repaired by the Town of Middleborough Department of Public Works, please call 508-946-2481 or email email@example.com
- Lost or Stolen Carts- Residents are responsible to notify the Town of Middleborough DPW of lost or stolen carts. If stolen, replacement carts to be provided at no charge upon submittal of a police report.
- Overflow trash must be in town trash bag and brought to the landfill for disposal, located at 207 Plympton Street, Middleborough.
- Trash placed in Private trash Barrels must have your house number and street clearly marked on barrel. This will be strictly enforced.
- Trash barrels should have covers to prevent rain/snow/water build up inside.
- Barrels must be no larger than 55 gallons, have handles, and be in good condition.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I get started?
If you are currently a quarterly paying fee customer, please contact DPW to have your cart switched to the 32-gallon size. You will no longer need to pay the quarterly fee, instead you will only pay for the bags that you need.
- How does this program work?
Simply buy Yellow Middleborough-approved bags at retail stores throughout the Town, and dispose of your trash in these bags as you normally would. Only the trash you put in these bags will be accepted.
- How do I contact Middleborough DPW?
Call 508-946-2480, email DPWWEB@Middleborough.com or visit http://www.middleborough.com/rubbishrecycling/ for general questions regarding recycling and trash disposal.
- Is there a limit to the amount of materials I can recycle?
No. Middleborough encourages residents to recycle as much as they can. The more you recycle, the fewer bags you will need to purchase and the more money you save. Additional recycling carts may be obtained for a $50/each deposit, please contact DPW.
- How is this program good for Middleborough?
In general, Middleborough’s Option Green program may bring municipal, residential, and environmental benefits.
• Middleborough benefits from savings in reduced tipping fees and possibly from earnings from recycling revenue.
• Residents may benefit in a number of ways.
– The program is more equitable. With the quarterly fee option, every household, regardless of size, pays the same fee. With Option Green, people who generate less trash would pay less by using fewer bags. It reminds people to recycle more.
– The more a community can recycle, the greater the chances of increasing its job opportunities in the recycling/reuse industries.
– With the choice of how much they want to recycle, residents now have more control of their trash bills.
• Environmental benefits come from a slowdown in the growth of landfill space, as well as reduced greenhouse gas emissions and water and soil contamination.
- What about large families?
If large families buy more than smaller families, they will have more to throw away and will have to buy more trash bags. This program gives them a chance and an incentive to lower their costs by recycling everything they can.
- What is PAYT?
“PAYT” stands for Pay-As-You-Throw. The Pay-As-You-Throw system is one in which residents pay a basic fee to cover the fixed costs of trash management and also a user fee for the amount used—much like the way we use and pay for electricity, water, or gas.
- Can apartments and multifamily dwellings participate?
Middleborough’s single-family homes and multi-family dwellings that include up to three units can participate in Middleborough’s curbside program; larger dwellings do not participate.
- What if I have a quality issue with a bag?
Contact WasteZero Customer Service at 1-800-866-3954 for a replacement bag. When calling, please provide the 4-5 digit code located just below the toll free number on the bag.